Sunday 11 March 2012

When They Walk Out...Shut The Door Behind 'Em


Once, when I was going through a stormy period in my life, a good friend of mine said to me, “the thing with you Ro is that you feel too much”. And I sat there, dumbfounded thinking to myself what the fuck does that even mean?  Is that a good or bad thing?

Days later, still disturbed by those words, I decided to rephrase the term “feeling too much” and deem it being passionate. Yep, I’m passionate about everything I do. When I laugh, I laugh hard and when I cry, I cry equally hard. I allow myself to feel. But the mistake I (and I’m pretty sure a whole lot of other people) have made many a time though, is giving too much of myself away, and trusting too much…to the point where it becomes a flaw; a curse instead of a blessing. And the unfortunate thing with passion is that, once you’ve invested a lot of yourself in something or someone, having to let go comes with increased difficulty.

Lovers and friends for example...

Friends - More often than not, friendship breakups are more upsetting and confusing than romantic breakups because friends are expected to be there through ups and downs, smiles and frowns. And so when a good friendship ends, there is a void that only time can heal. Honestly, if a friend walks out of your life then he/she was never really a friend to begin with. Maybe the universe was showing you that, that person clearly was not meant to be a part of your life. True friends would never throw away your beautiful friendship.

Lovers - Well, whether it was some great love, or it was just “complicated”…if it’s ended then let it be. Just like with broken glass, you don’t want to cut yourself trying to put the pieces back together. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that one out, I mean isht ended for a reason! But what I’ve learnt though, about moving on is that in order to leave it, you have to first grieve it. Or to put it colorfully "take your heartbreak to dinner, allow yourself to heal…then leave it with the bill" (I read this somewhere). If you're smart, you'll get it.. 
But basically, you need to allow yourself to feel the sadness and all that soppy emotion...then be a man about it and suck it up! What’s done is done, you can’t erase it...so might as well face it. You're probably too phly for him/her anyway...so on to the next.

You are not broken because your heart is, and your worth did not walk away because they did.

You have to let go of what is NOT meant for you, to receive what IS. Let go of the old to receive the new.Your destiny is never tied to anybody that left.

So i guess what I'm trying to say (500 words later) is that, saying goodbye is not always a bad thing. Many endings mark the start of beautiful beginnings. If someone walks away from your life it doesn't mean that they are a bad person, it just means that their part in your story is over. Turn the page. When you remove a weed (from your life), God will plant a seed. So the person stepping is simply creating space for bigger and better things in your life. Every hole in your heart is space for someone or something new and fabulous to enter. Once you've realized that...then you've found the good in goodbye!

1 comment: